Latest Comments

If you're looking for the latest comments and voting for the Song Project, Album Project and Revisited Projected Rankings, check out the Project Comments page.

About Celtic Frost, lolololo wrote:
  they have influenced multiple genres ranging from metal to alternative. And lets not forget that Kurt Cobain once said that Nirvana was a mix of Sonic Youth and Celtic Frost.
Friday, 01.20.17 @ 08:43am
Leave your own comment about Celtic Frost here.

About Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paul in KY wrote:
  Saw them back in 2012 & guess I'll be seeing them again on The Farm. Managed to slide into the pit for their show. It was excellent. Glad you got to see them Jason & Darin!

Did Flea walk around on his hands?
Friday, 01.20.17 @ 07:54am
Leave your own comment about Red Hot Chili Peppers here.

About Black Sabbath, Nicky Joe wrote:
  Well what about Tony Martin, Cozy Powell and Neil Murray? They qualify as snubbed members as well.
Friday, 01.20.17 @ 07:13am
Leave your own comment about Black Sabbath here.

About Snubbed Members, Rick Vendl II wrote:
  When was Louis Clark an official band member and in what years? Just curious as he's usually not listed as a band member on the albums.

Posted by Casper on Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 01:49am

Like I'd said, 1974-1979, then also, 1983.

Eldorado marks the first album on which Jeff Lynne hired an orchestra; on previous albums, Lynne would overdub the strings. Louis Clark co-arranged (with Lynne and keyboardist Richard Tandy) and conducted the strings, and would eventually go on to become a full member of the band. - David Wild, "The Story of a Rock and Roll Band and the Pop Genius Who Dared to Go Baroque.", Flashback, Electric Light Orchestra box set from 2000.

Original Album Credits

Face the Music (1975)
Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy and Louis Clark Orchestral and choral arrangements
Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark

A New World Record (1976)
Orchestra and choral arrangements Louis Clark
Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark

Out of the Blue (1977)
Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy and Louis Clark Orchestral and choral arrangements
Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark

Discovery (1979)
Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy and Louis Clark Orchestra and choral arrangements
Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark

Secret Messages (1983)
Strings conducted by Louis Clark ("Train Of Gold", "Danger Ahead" and "Stranger")
Friday, 01.20.17 @ 01:29am
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Snubbed Members, Casper wrote:
  It would probably be best to include The Spiders From Mars for Bowie as that was an actual backing band over two key albums and tours. So, Ronson/Bolder/Woodmansey.

I can see the case for Elton John's band members, but you might as well include Bernie Taupin - Lyricist.

I agree with the Crazy Horse members for Neil Young.

Steely Dan is a duo so I don't really see the point of including those other guys. Plenty of solo artist and duos have featured performers on their albums/tours. It doesn't make them band members.

Skip Spence was only around for one album and wasn't a founding member, so I'd say "No"...Signe Tole Anderson actually has a strong case and should be included.

C.J. Ramone entered the scene when The Ramones were churning out mediocre material...it's the same reason nobody cares, rightfully, about later Blackhearts members not being inducted with Joan Jett. I feel that a group's material past their peak must still have been pretty great/important, otherwise, there's not much of a purpose in including those later members.

Come on. We can't have everyone from ELO. Colin Walker was there for one measly album. Same goes for all those Yes guys and those minor Deep Purple Who and AC/DC members you mentioned. Again, the point of this is to induct the IMPORTANT individuals and not everybody that ever played on a recording.

I'm open to hearing more arguments though.

FRL, feel free to add The Spiders From Mars, Crazy Horse, Elton John's band members (and Bernie Taupin) along with Signe Anderson to the above list. Nice work Joseph.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 21:54pm
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Red Hot Chili Peppers, DarinRG wrote:
  I saw them once and thought they were a good live act (this was BSSM era). I always got what they were doing, but it didn't appeal to me much. Bands on the early edge of Rock/Hip Hop hybrid always felt clumsy to me. Same with Rage. I respect what they were doing, especially their political message, but never really enjoyed listening to it. I think that we're now seeing a generation of artists coming up who grew up on both rock and hip hop and don't have the division between the two in their head that even well meaning Xers like me always had. I was very happy when they were inducted, though. I largely don't enjoy their music (don't hate it either), but I get the importance of it and appreciate how quite a few new artists are taking the Frankenstein stitches out of it. It took RHCP, Rage and a few others, both of note or forgotten, to tie that monster together for the next generation to do plastic surgery on it.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 21:33pm
Leave your own comment about Red Hot Chili Peppers here.

About Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jason Voigt wrote:
  Saw those guys for the first time last night! They put on a decent show, and they still had some energy left in them. Original drummer Jack Irons was one of the opening acts, but unfortunately we were late (and I wasn't the one driving!) in showing up. Flea was being Flea, as goofy as he can be. Which is fine, and everything. I wish Anthony Keidis would drop the creeper-stache and go back to the long hair. Most of the songs they played were newer ones (as in at least five from their new album plus those that have been on their last two records). Not many old songs, which I guess I should have expected. Of course, they had to do their two arguably most recognizable songs: "Give It Away" and "Under the Bridge", which they did well. I'm kind of wondering why they don't ever perform any of their songs from One Hot Minute (to me, that's probably their last great piece of work). All in all, great show and another HOFer to my list.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 18:53pm
Leave your own comment about Red Hot Chili Peppers here.

About Snubbed Members, Joseph wrote:
  Other key official members who were excluded from their group's induction:

David Bowie - Mick Ronson (guitars)
David Bowie - Trevor Bolder (bass)
David Bowie - Mick "Woody" Woodmansey (drums)
David Bowie - Mike Garson (piano)
David Bowie - Carlos Alomar (guitars)
David Bowie - George Murray (bass)
David Bowie - Dennis Davis (drums)
David Bowie - Earl Slick (guitars)

Elton John - Davey Johnstone (guitars)
Elton John - Dee Murray (bass)
Elton John - Nigel Olsson (drums)

Neil Young - Danny Whitten (guitars)
Neil Young - Billy Talbot (bass)
Neil Young - Ralph Molina (drums)
Neil Young - Frank "Poncho" Sampedro (guitars)

Steely Dan - Denny Dias (guitar)
Steely Dan - Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (guitar)
Steely Dan - Jim Hodder (drums)
Steely Dan - David Palmer (vocals)

Jefferson Airplane - Signe Anderson (vocals)
Jefferson Airplane - Skip Spence (drums)

Ramones - C.J. Ramone (bass)

Electric Light Orchestra - Colin Walker (cello)

Yes - Patrick Moraz (keyboards)
Yes - Trevor Horn (vocals; producer)
Yes - Geoff Downes (keyboards)

Deep Purple - Tommy Bolin (guitar)

AC/DC - Chris Slade (drums)

The Who - Kenney Jones (drums; *inducted with Faces)
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 18:32pm
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

I do believe I read over the years about the influence of Moody Blues on Rush. So wjat I was saying is that I think it will take about 20 years for all the essential prog acts to be inducted. Do yu recall saying over 100 years for that. You said something like that a couple months ago. Now this was before the success of ELO and Yes inducted in the Hall. Perhaps you were joking or changed your mind on that. I think it was because a prog act has been inducted every few years. Before this year Rush was the last prog act Inducted. Things do seem more hopeful NOW.

Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 15:51pm

About Snubbed Members, Casper wrote:
  Parsons wasn't on my initial draft either, nor do I think he was around long enough to be deemed worthy. And hell, his retrospective compilations tend to cherry pick from his work with The Byrds and other groups before he went solo. He was really just Gram Parsons and never a group member.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 14:41pm
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Snubbed Members, Dezmond wrote:
  That is crazy and sad that Clarence White, Skip Battin and Gene Parsons weren't inducted with The Byrds. Nuts. I'm actually OK with Gram Parsons not being inducted as a Byrd, he was really only around for part of an album.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 12:59pm
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben and Vito,

You are very welcome.

Vito,

Even though not mentioned specifically in "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage," The Moody Blues has been described as a huge influence on Rush by founding member and guitarist Alex Lifeson, in an interview with U.S.A. Today, prior to Rush's induction. Also, Geddy Lee mentions The Moody Blues in an article in the Toronto Globe & Mail, alongside previous inductees Deep Purple and current inductees, Yes.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 09:42am

About the eligibility class of 2017, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Mike King,

I absolutely support your criticisms about The Moody Blues and Doobie Brothers. In my honest opinion, The Moody Blues and Doobie Brothers should have been inducted several years ago.

The Moody Blues have been described as a huge influence on previous Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame inductees progressive rock maestros Rush. Rush's ambition had been to become the world's smallest symphony orchestra. Overall, I have seen no greater influence on Rush's overall discography than that of The Moody Blues. Perhaps their most recent masterpiece, 'The Garden' from "Clockwork Angels" may be Rush's most poignant homage to The Moody Blues.

Doobie Brothers should also be inducted in my honest opinion. Many of their earlier hit songs represent a crossover of country and classic rock, whereas their later works are more of a crossover with soul and rhythm and blues.

The Monkees had written their own songs in later years, however at the beginning, they had relied upon several,singer/ songwriters to write their material. Nevertheless, Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith were actually musicians.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 09:34am
Leave your own comment about 2017 here.

About Boston, Roy wrote:

Tom Scholz interview - Boston/More Than A Feeling
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 03:46am
Leave your own comment about Boston here.

About Boston, Roy wrote:

SOUNDBREAKING | Nobody Knew That Boston Wasn't Really a Band At All | PBS
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 03:33am
Leave your own comment about Boston here.

About Snubbed Members, Casper wrote:
  The Drifters seem to have the most screwed up induction of all time...really no reason a lot of those guys couldn't have been included. Too many plane tickets to pay for I guess.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 01:51am
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Snubbed Members, Casper wrote:
  Definitely want to hear the debate concerning The Byrds as those non-inductees played on well liked enough albums that came right after Queen of the Rodeo, so I figured it wasn't too far past their peak.

I personally didn't include the extra Four Seasons member on the list and feel that groups like that and The Four Tops are the foursome as initially advertised, but I digress.
Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 01:50am
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Snubbed Members, Casper wrote:

Thursday, 01.19.17 @ 01:49am
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Snubbed Members, Rick Vendl II wrote:
  FRL,

Louis Clark first joined The Electric Light Orchestra as a String Conductor starting with Eldorado, from 1974-1979.

8-)

Wednesday, 01.18.17 @ 23:21pm
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Snubbed Members, Rick Vendl II wrote:
  FRL,

Electric Light Orchestra's Mlik Kaminski should be Mik Kaminski, Louis Clark, Wilf Gibson and Mike de Albuquerque were also snubs!

Steve Miller Band, Boz Scaggs should've been inducted.
Wednesday, 01.18.17 @ 22:24pm
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About Barry Manilow, E E wrote:
  Barry Manilow definitely has a bit of schmaltzy Vegas crooner about him on songs like "Copacabana", but he also has several gems that are definite soft-rock standards: "Mandy", "Ships", "Trying to Get the Feeling Again", "It's a Miracle", "Looks Like We Made It"... I agree that a little Manilow goes a long way, but those songs (among others) are absolutely essential. He's certainly more talented and tolerable than, say, Michael Bolton (*gag*).
Wednesday, 01.18.17 @ 16:42pm
Leave your own comment about Barry Manilow here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

Now that I covered the 80s a bit I would like to cover some 70s prog again. As far as Emerson, Lake and Palmer I know about the comps The Anthology and the Alantic Years but I own the Best of ELP. As I said I own Brain Salad Surgery. I am about 10 ywars older than Vito so I know a whole bunch of ELP albums. I am considering buying Trilogy and Tarkus. I would be revisiting these. I had them as a teenager on Good old vinyl.

I know Supertramp very well. I was first into Supertramp in 1979. Their best albums are Crime of the Century, Even in the Quietest Moments and Breakfast in America. I dont think they will be on a ballot for the Rock Hall for quite some time. Yu said awhile back that it could take "over 100 years"for the basic prog acts to all be inducted. You may have been joking. Although it could take about 20 years. I am only talking about the essential ones you mention quite a bit.
Wednesday, 01.18.17 @ 08:27am

About the eligibility class of 2017, Mike King wrote:
  Where's the Moody Blues, The Doobie Brothers, and the Monkeys. I will not attend this place until these three are inducted. They deserved it a long time ago, ahead of a whole bunch of groups you have in there. Some of which aren't rock and roll, or have not been as accomplished as these three are. Cut the drap and do what's right.

Mike King
Wednesday, 01.18.17 @ 00:57am
Leave your own comment about 2017 here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  You know what. I am revising my list of predictions for 2018. I read a list on the Northrumbrian Countdown by Alex Voltaire I think. I didnt stop to think that Beck is not eligible until the following year
Also there should be and may be a Blues Rock choice. Here is my revised list.

The Cure
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
The Spinners
Tina Turner
War
The Zombies

That is my revision. The J. Geils Band is good Blues Rock choice. I feel they can easily be nominated again. I realize that Beck is not eligible until the following year. So I predict Rage Against the Machine. My other choices remain the same. The whole list is subject to change later on. I am not a fan but the Cure have a good shot among the 80s alt acts. I feel strong about both ELP and the Moody Blues. This will be my list. All of them make sense.

Tuesday, 01.17.17 @ 21:12pm

About Paula Cole, Roy wrote:
  According to MTV/VH1, her career ended because she never shaved her armpits.
Tuesday, 01.17.17 @ 19:56pm
Leave your own comment about Paula Cole here.

About Kajagoogoo, Roy wrote:
  Kajagoogoo - Shy Shy

Limahl - The Never Ending Story
Tuesday, 01.17.17 @ 19:54pm
Leave your own comment about Kajagoogoo here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  I just want to say again it is such a great triumph to have ELO and Yes as inductees. It is also a triumph to have Journey. They represent the 80s this year. It brings 80s arena Rock into the picture. As I said Journey is a good sign for 80s acts in the Hall. This should pave the way for Foreigner who are Ok. I am really NOT sure about Boston any time soon. They had the one notable album. Styx has a greater posibilty. These arena bands started in the 70s but had a lot of success in the 80s. Bon Jovi and Def Leppard seem like next in line. King mentioned Jon Bon Jovi was shooting his mouth off about the Hall so lets give it to Def Leppard for next year.

The 1980s are an area kinda ignored. They have skipped a lot of 80s to get to 90s acts. So I wont harp on the mistake but it is time to do something about that. I think moving forward there will be a few 80s acts on the ballot and at least 1 will be inducted usually. There is all sorts of 80s acts to consider. There is arena Rock like Def Leppard and there is Janet J to consider which is totally different

Tuesday, 01.17.17 @ 06:27am

About Rock Hall Projected, Lax34 wrote:
  Hi fellow posters. Thinking ahead to who we might induct later this year, and having been impressed with Steve Z's shortlist of potential inductees, I have been contemplating some other artists that I would hope could be considered. One that has been on my mind and my playlists fairly recently is The Residents. Admittedly, The Residents are not for everybody; heck, they may not be recording artists in the truest sense of the word. None the less, they are performance art; and like any performance art, The Residents are uniquely influential to a varied and just as influential collection of artists.

I suppose what makes The Residents difficult to consider is we do not know who they are. Well, I and others have a guess that The Residents are or were the Cryptic Corporation; yet they will never admit it publicly. With little knowledge of the collective to be aware of, that leaves no chance for radio airplay, low selling albums and the Residents not being rich. Plus, at a certain point their music became less accessible; I would guess the line of demarcation was 1983 after the problematic Mole Tour and the departures of Jay Clem and John Kennedy from Cryptic Corporation/Residents. I would say start with hearing and seeing their pre-1983 catalogue before exploring the Mr. Skull/Randy Chuck & Bob/Homer Flynn and Hardy Fox semi-solo eras. Be advised you may not be able to dance to their music; yet it will have your attention.

So, what say all of you fellow posters? Are The Residents, or any similar act for that matter, decent enough to be considered for the Revisited/Projected Rock Hall Project? Are there inductees that have had similar artistic endeavors? Let me know in any comments you might have. It should be a worthy discussion.

Hoping for a Putting On The Ritz/Istanbul/Constantinople mashup,

Lax34
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 22:54pm
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

Good recommendations for ELP. I own Brain Salad Surgery and Best Of. I downloaded thw Trilogy title track a long time back. I knew all these over 35 years ago. I owned Tarkus and Trilogy on Vinyl way back over 35 years ago.

The only recommended Moody Blues albums you said that I dont currently own are Long Distance Voyager and Strange Times. I owned Long Distance in 1981, 82 on Vinyl. I have never owned Strange Times. I own the others mentioned. Days of Future.. and In Search are great
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 13:37pm

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

You should check out the Previously considered list. Thats why Im staying with ELP. They were attempted but NOT King Crimson. Both are however worthy
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 12:41pm

About the 2017 Inductees, Vito wrote:
  Enig,

Thanks for the info. Not sure I knew Rush was influenced by The Moody Blues. I've seen a bio on Geddy Lee and I've see the doc Beyond the Lighted Stage but I can't remember if they mentioned Moody Blues.

I listened to one of their albums maybe 4 years ago, probably one of the hit compilations. I believe I liked it a little but I'll have to check out the studio albums you mentioned. I like listening to those first more than just a greatest hits. I like to discover the deeper tracks.
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 09:49am

About Rush, Enigmaticus wrote:
  I am very disappointed in the Wikihow guide to listening to progressive rock, due to their omission of Rush. This smacks of elitism, or ignorance at the highest, most inexcusable level.

For one thing, they recommend beginning with Genesis. I highly disagree with this. I would start with Rush (a group which they had so conveniently omitted, instead). Instead of getting "Chronicles," a suggestion on another Wikihow site, I would start with either "Gold," "Retrospectives 1, 2 & 3," or "Exit... Stage Left." You cannot go wrong with "E.S.L." In my honest opinion, it contains several of Rush's greatest masterpieces. Exposure to those masterpieces will increase your interest in the best music that Rush has to offer. Also get "Clockwork Angels Tour" to start with.
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 09:44am
Leave your own comment about Rush here.

About Rush, Enigmaticus wrote:

For one thing, they recommend beginning with Genesis. I highly disagree with this. I would start with Rush (a group which they had so conveniently omitted, instead. Instead of getting "Chronicles," a suggestion on another Wikihow site, I would start with either "Gold," or "Exit... Stage Left." You cannot go wrong with "E.S.L." In my honest opinion, it contains several of Rush's greatest masterpieces.
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 09:39am
Leave your own comment about Rush here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Let's try this again:

Vito,

Emerson, Lake & Palmer was a prog supergroup, consisting of three musicians who had started in three earlier prog bands. The late Keith Emerson had been a member of The Nice, the late Greg Lake had been a founding member, bassist and vocalist for King Crimson and Carl Palmer had been a drummer for Atomic Rooster and The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. If you are interested in the music of ELP, then I would strongly suggest purchasing their latest compilation, "The Anthology," or their earlier compilation, "The Atlantic Years." If you like those, then, you might want to get "Tarkus," "Trilogy," "Emerson, Lake & Palmer," "Brain Salad Surgery" and "Works Vol. I" I would definitely stay away from "Love Beach," the nadir of their output.

Monday, 01.16.17 @ 09:33am

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Thank you. A nomination for Emerson, Lake & Palmer would be quite surprising, since many have considered ELP to be the poster child for pretentious, overindulgent progressive rock. However, the late Greg Lake was also an original member of King Crimson. King Crimson has been mentioned in various artist's biographies and has received more critical acclaim. So, I think that a nomination for King Crimson might be next, instead.
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 09:20am

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

That previous post certainly was me. Thats happened a couple times. I did that again I put the name of the person Im chatting with instead of my own. I did that with Nick or someone once too.

Sooo lets try that again. As far as Emerson, Lake and Palmer Im going with my prediction of the sympathy vote. Also I have referred to the Previously considered list. You should look at that. Thats a list of acts that got some votes including those nominated but never have been inducted. Some acts like ELP got some Votes but were not nominated yet. King Crimson have not been previously considered. Don't worry the Moody Blues have been previously considered.
Monday, 01.16.17 @ 05:11am

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Is that previous posting yours?
Sunday, 01.15.17 @ 22:01pm

About the 2017 Inductees, Enig wrote:
  Enig,

Thanks for posting to my friend Vito. As far as Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Im goimg with my prediction of the sympathy Vote. Also I have referred to the Previously considered list. Yu should look at that. Thats a list of Acts that got some Votes. King Crimson have not been previously considered. Hey the Moody Blues have beenoreviously considered. These are good signs at least. Yu know what Jethro Tull is also on this list. But The Hall will probably wait on Tull.
Sunday, 01.15.17 @ 15:30pm

About Rush, Enigmaticus wrote:
Sunday, 01.15.17 @ 15:30pm
Leave your own comment about Rush here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

I had forgotten that there might be a sympathy vote for Emerson, Lake & Palmer due to the recent passings of Greg Lake and Keith Emerson, but I think that King Crimson will get the nomination instead later this year.
Sunday, 01.15.17 @ 15:13pm