Latest Comments

If you're looking for the latest comments and voting for the Song Project, Album Project and Revisited Projected Rankings, check out the Project Comments page.

About the 2017 Inductees, Philip wrote:
  Enig,

Using VU as an example is a bit inexact. For starters, Lou Reed has a bit of a cache with the punk rock crowd. Second, I don't think art rock was necessarily recognized as a movement back in the late 60's. The movie I refer to epitomized the difference by pitting the hardcore Black Flag against Talking Heads.

Although I disagree with your complexity argument, you do remind me of another key aspect. In the movie, the virtue of punk in other artists like the Raincoats was described as a band whose passion exceeded their talent, and that's what made them so listenable. While I'm not even a dilettante when it comes to prog, it does strike me that perhaps a liability of said complexity was the possibility of sounding dispassionate. I don't think that's necessarily true of Pink Floyd or even Rush, but that has been true of some listening experiences of mine regarding acts like Yes, Jethro Tull, and Emerson, Lake, And Palmer.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 22:10pm
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About Chicago, Zuzu wrote:
  The Songwriters Hall of Fame made a few errors

Feeling Stronger Every Day was written by both Peter and Jimmy and not just Jimmy

Make Me Smile and Color My World are part of Ballet for Girl From Buchannon Suite yet they are listed as three separate songs
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 20:44pm
Leave your own comment about Chicago here.

About Robert Lamm, Roy wrote:
  Robert Lamm is a 2016 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inductee

Robert Lamm is a 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductee
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 20:02pm
Leave your own comment about Robert Lamm here.

About Peter Cetera, Roy wrote:
  Peter Cetera is a 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductee
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 19:57pm
Leave your own comment about Peter Cetera here.

About Chicago, Roy wrote:
  The 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductees: Chicago

Peter Cetera is a 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductee
Robert Lamm is a 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductee
James Pankow is a 2017 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductee
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 19:55pm
Leave your own comment about Chicago here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Roy wrote:

Songwriters Hall Of Fame Announces 2017 Inductees

01. Peter Cetera / Robert Lamm / James Pankow (Chicago)
02. Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds
03. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis
04. Shawn “Jay Z” Carter
05. Max Martin
06. Berry Gordy
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 19:31pm
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

Yes there is still a wide gulf between Punk Rockers and prog aficionados. I am not true Prog aficionado but I am much closer to that. A lesser known Prog act I like is Nektar. So I know my share of the Prog genre. Even in 200 years Nektar will not be in the Hall but I just figure you know them.

Soo anyway I would say Now that the Hall will catch up on big Prog acts like the Moody Blues and ELP. I do think so.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 13:10pm
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Nicky Joe wrote:
  I'm going to do a write up for Alice in Chains.

Alice in Chains
Seattle, Washington
1987-2002, 2005-present
Inducted members: Jerry Cantrell, Layne Staley, Mike Starr, Sean Kinney, Mike Inez and WilliamDuVall

Inducted by Ann Wilson in 2016

Songs performed:
Stone
Man in the Box
Would

Out of all the grunge bands popping up in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Alice in Chains was without a doubt the darkest of all of them, their sound was much closer to heavy metal than punk and alternative rock and most of that is owed to the heaviness of the guitars. At the front of their band is their amazing lead guitarist and vocalist Jerry Cantrell who combines aggressive Black Sabbath riffing with amazing solos reminiscent of guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Kirk Hammett, Jimmy Page and Ron Asheton as proven by tunes like Man in the Box and Dam That River. Then we have some chomping basslines in tunes like Would and Rain When I Die by the late Mike Starr who was replaced by ex-Ozzy Osbourne bassist Mike Inez. Then you have the thunderous drumming of Sean Kinney who pounds these drums in a way that would impress John Bonham and Keith Moon. However, there is one aspect of the group not to be overlooked, the vocals of the late Layne Staley who combines tortured screeches, depressing vocals and multiple harmonies alongside writing lyrics concerning mixed views on religion, drug abuse and death. Unfortunately by the late '90s, Layne vanished to his condo and was almost never seen by anyone and eventually (and unfortunately) met his fate and died at the young age of 34 with many hard rock and heavy metal legends like Phil Anselmo, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Maynard James Keenan, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Zakk Wylde paying tributes and acknowledging his amazing talent. Thankfully, William DuVall has been doing a brilliant job at filling in a void that even the biggest legends would struggle to full-fill and satisfy and more than ever there's been a focus on vocal harmonies and doomy, punky riffing that despite mixed reviews from the know-it-all critics have been well received by their purest fans. It's safe to say you'd be hard-pressed to find a group that will ever come close to having the unique and phenomenal talent of Alice in Chains.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 12:40pm
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Thank you for agreeing with me. I think that there is still a wide gulf between the punk rockers and the "prog" aficionados.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 09:12am
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Philip,

There were always certain "art rock" bands such as The Velvet Underground, who were considered acceptable. I think that the punks really had their issues with "progressive rock" instead, due to it's inherit complexity.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 09:04am
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About Kanye West, Cleveland Rocks wrote:
  Lots of Kanye hate here. As he said in 'power' "At the end of the day goddamn it I'm killin' this s**
I know damn well ya'll feelin' this s**" Love him or hate him he is the biggest rockstar in the world and has been probably since 'Dark Twisted Fantasy' which is also the best album of the 2000's. The guy keeps putting out hit after hit after hit for more than a decade. Hope he can get his mind right and maybe lose the wife so he can keep making great music.

PS
For anyone saying the guy isn't rock, who made you the judge? Rock is music and it can evolve like it or not the spirit of Kanye's music is Rock and Roll!
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 02:22am
Leave your own comment about Kanye West here.

About The White Stripes, Cleveland Rocks wrote:
  Not even a huge fan but yeah obviously first ballot hall of famers I don't think there is any way they don't get in. So influential, so unique, and so popular I would bet my life that they get in.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 02:07am
Leave your own comment about The White Stripes here.

About Coldplay, Cleveland Rocks wrote:
  Never a sure thing with the hall but Coldplay is pretty close to a lock. The band has intense staying power they have been one of the most popular bands in the world for over a decade. Yes they took stuff from U2 and other British rockers but that's how music works. Groups like one republic, the fray, and kings of leon were enormously influenced by them. The band has remained wildly successful from young newcomers with indie britrock songs, to superstars in the 2000's, now they are "pop" just because of how popular they are not because of losing any musical taste or talent.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 02:02am
Leave your own comment about Coldplay here.

About Hozier, Cleveland Rocks wrote:
  Definitely too early to tell but this first album was amazing. 'Take me to Church' was the hit but the whole album really kills it. I think the album is good enough to be an artists marque album but he would need to show more over this next decade.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 01:45am
Leave your own comment about Hozier here.

About The Killers, Cleveland Rocks wrote:
  Killers don't get as much respect as I think they deserve. In an era where guitar bands were becoming somewhat niche they broke through and released crazy popular songs. They probably would need one more good album to get in but I think they deserve it now. Time should help them, Hot Fuss has held up incredibly well.
Wednesday, 02.22.17 @ 01:39am
Leave your own comment about The Killers here.

About Stone Temple Pilots, Jimmy wrote:
  RIP Scott! We lost a true rock and roll legend but the music will live on forever. Long live STP! And, yes, they will definitely get inducted into the hall of fame. It may not be this go around (2017) but it will happen.
Tuesday, 02.21.17 @ 20:44pm
Leave your own comment about Stone Temple Pilots here.

About King Crimson, Roy wrote:
  If the Rock Hall really is capping the inductees at 8

King Crimson

01. Robert Fripp (1968-Present: guitar, keyboards)
02. Greg Lake (1968-1970: vocals, bass; Emerson, Lake and Palmer, The Gods, Asia)
03. Ian McDonald (1968-1969: woodwinds, keyboards, guitar; Foreigner)
04. Michael Giles (1968-1969: vocals, drums)
05. Peter Sinfield (1968-1972: lyrics, keyboards, synthesizers)
06. Bill Bruford (1972-1998: drums; Yes)
07. Adrian Belew (1981-Present: vocals, guitar)
08. Tony Levin (1981-Present: bass, keyboards)
Tuesday, 02.21.17 @ 06:19am
Leave your own comment about King Crimson here.

About Parliament-Funkadelic, Zack wrote:
  You made a mistake on your snubbed list, Cordell "Boogie" Mosson IS in the RRHOF. However Tawl Ross, who played on Funkadelic's first three albums as their rhythm guitarist isn't.
Monday, 02.20.17 @ 13:44pm
Leave your own comment about Parliament-Funkadelic here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

I agree with you once again. There is a huge chasm between Prog fans and Punk fans. Punk has been dealt with by the Hall. I dont take anything away from that. It is perfectly fine that The Clash and Patti Smith were inducted in the Hall as well as the Sex Pistols. I am Not a fan of these but they had their place in Rock History. I like some tunes by the Clash.

However, There is no reason that Prog had to be so ignored. I had an upbringing of all kinds of Rock but NOT Punk too much at all. The bias and the limited # of inductees each year caused this. Clearly the Punk bands could have been inducted but also great Prog acts like Rush, Yes and the Moody Blues over 10 years ago. As you say forget the mistakes of the Past. Rush were inducted in 2013 and Yes this year in 2017.
Monday, 02.20.17 @ 07:28am
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Philip wrote:
  Enig,

I saw the film "20th Century Women" which is set in 1979. From what I gather, it was pretty much always by design to market punk and art rock (which you deem to be prog adjacent) as being diametrically opposed and mutually exclusive in fan bases. Do you think that has any merit and may have any bearing on the conversation regarding punk and prog today?

Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 21:55pm
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Ultimately, I think that there is still a huge chasm between those individuals who appreciate "prog" and those who appreciate punk. It was much easier for the record companies to promote numerous punk acts. The number of prog acts, in comparison, was extremely limited. New Wave is an umbrella term used by the music industry to describe those bands which had come after the advent of punk.
Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 21:39pm
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About Steppenwolf, Philip wrote:
  Ben,

Since you saw his point, perhaps you can understand what the heck is meant by "too real" and "honest/real approach." As opposed "dishonest/fictional approach"? It sounds like "real/honest" is little more than a way to describe music that resonates with your upbringing or worldview, but I'm sure that's not what is meant here. So, if you'd care to at least expound on that, it'd be appreciated.
Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 21:30pm
Leave your own comment about Steppenwolf here.

About the 2017 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

I had needed to amend that previous post, slightly.

Roy,

I find those disparaging comments written by Tim Sommer of The Observer to be quite inappropriate. For nearly four decades, we had to be bombarded by the nonsense of the short-lived punk rock movement. Now that prog is rightfully taking it's place, finally, in the pantheon of Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, some people are upset. Well, get over it, we had to deal with your b.s. about the greatness of punk rock, for nearly four decades and we are definitely sick and tired of it.

So, I guess that you do not like the idea that Rush had been deservedly inducted nearly four years ago and that now Yes has finally received this long overdue honor. Even better is the idea that two members of Rush will be inducting Yes. That must really cause you a great deal of anguish.

Regarding your arrogant statement about Kansas being unnecessary, once you had discovered the Sex Pistols, well that definitely does not work for me, either. After all, Kansas was a symphonic progressive rock group from the United States.

Oh well, it must also come as some surprise that not everybody had liked glam rock and that not everybody had listened to Sweet, or T. Rex, but that's not the only thing.

On the other hand, Roxy Music was much more artistic, actually they were an "art rock" band, so I would definitely agree that they also deserve a nomination.

As far as synthesizers are concerned, did not Tangerine Dream precede Kraftwerk by quite a few years. Do you see Edgar Froese, or Klaus Schulze, Christopher Franke and Peter Baumann, being nominated for the Rock Hall? No, you do not.

While I do agree that Kate Bush deserves to be inducted, I also think that Carly Simon should precede her.

When mentioning bands that came from Britain that were formed in the late seventies, you had failed to mention, Duran Duran and XTC, or are they perhaps, too progressive for you?
Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 20:44pm
Leave your own comment about the 2017 Inductees here.

About Steppenwolf, Ben wrote:
  Philip,

It was the opinion of Red Jordon. I dont know him. I was responding to his opinion of Glitz and Glamour. He stated that Steppenwolf may have been too real. I simply saw his point. However this Red Jordan failed to say that there were many other acts with an honest approach. Many years back the Doors and the Animals had that real approach. So did Recent acts like Albert King, Heart, Rush, Joan Jett and Lou Reed. Red Jordan has not responded at all. Soo we can move on.
Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 10:19am
Leave your own comment about Steppenwolf here.

About The Jayhawks, Paul in KY wrote:
  They have a cool name ;-)

I like one or two of their songs, but I could never see them in The Hall (unless they come out with 4 more awesome albums). It's a mystery...
Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 07:36am
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About Rush, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Today is the 38th anniversary of my introduction to the music of Rush via "Hemispheres." Today is also, the 54th anniversary of Michael Jordan's birth and Richard Karn's 61st birthday. Happy Birthday, gentlemen.
Saturday, 02.18.17 @ 01:44am
Leave your own comment about Rush here.

About The Jayhawks, Philip wrote:
  So hearsay that Petty might have borrowed a riff is the foundation for their consideration? Not really going for that, but that's the theory to beat, I guess.
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 20:55pm
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About The Jayhawks, Sean wrote:
  Well, the Rock Hall likes Tom Petty and people say he borrowed the guitar riff for "Mary Jane's Last Dance" from the Jayhawks' "Waiting for the Sun", after they toured with him, similar to how they say he borrowed the Replacements' "rebel without a clue" from "I'll Be You" for "Into the Great Wide Open", immediately after THEY toured with him. I don't know how much of an insider Petty is. He's not on the NomCom, but that could be why. It certainly isn't enough.

Granted, they could do better for '80s/'90s roots rock, even in the mainstream (Black Crowes), and much better in the alternative (Camper van Beethoven, and even they're probably more mainstream than the Jayhawks, especially if you count David Lowery's later work with Cracker.)

RateYourMusic voters really like Jayhawks, with three of their albums in bold print, but they don't seem to be that monstrous critical favorites otherwise.
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 19:13pm
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About the Induction Criteria, Jefferson wrote:
  Please consider Wierd Al for the r&r hsll of fame. Many of his parodies or better than the original; his original work is great too. Please consider he got permission to parody other artists works and backed down from artists who objected. (Coollio was a mixup according to Al, and Amish Paradise is great).
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 13:40pm
Leave your own comment about the Induction Criteria here.

About the Induction Criteria, Jefferson wrote:
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 13:39pm
Leave your own comment about the Induction Criteria here.

About the Induction Criteria, Jefferson wrote:
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 13:36pm
Leave your own comment about the Induction Criteria here.

About The Jayhawks, Philip wrote:
  Well, considering they have pretty much no crossover mainstream success, and their members aren't tied to other famous efforts (like some of the members of Poco), that does make it a little bit puzzling that they managed to catch the attention of someone on the Committee.
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 12:01pm
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About Taylor Swift, Tyler wrote:
  The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn't just for rock artist you know... people are getting mad at eligible artist that aren't rock musicians but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn't just for rock artist.
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 10:23am
Leave your own comment about Taylor Swift here.

About The Jayhawks, DarinRG wrote:
  You're really puzzled that the NomCom considered a super safe, bland, country rock band?
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 02:55am
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About The Jayhawks, Philip wrote:
  Sorry about the double post, btw.
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 02:28am
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About The Jayhawks, Philip wrote:
  Out of all the acts that are on the Previously Considered list, this is probably the most puzzling. This is an act that when I go to the local music shop, I see plenty of discs/albums from them. But they never piqued my interest until they made the Previously Considered list. And while my research on them has been anything but definitive, from what I've listened to so far... I still don't get it. There's really nothing about them that screams "INDUCT THEM!" in their music. If I ran my 4 I's analysis on the entire Prev. Cons. list, they come up somewhere near the bottom, maybe the very bottom. So, if someone who's more versed on the alternative scene of the '80s and '90s would care to provide some insight... what am I missing? Are they just a feelgood band from that scene that few might object to? Or is there something groundbreaking about them that I've missed so far? Or is this a pet act for someone on the NomComm?
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 02:27am
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About The Jayhawks, Philip wrote:
Friday, 02.17.17 @ 02:27am
Leave your own comment about The Jayhawks here.

About Fatboy Slim, Chance B. wrote:
  Christopher.......Walken.........
Anybody, and I mean fricken ANYBODY who gets Christopher Walken into their shoot is great. But, to make him dance and fly around; GODLIKE.

Seriously now, Fatboy Slim, most definitely deserves at least a shot at the HoF. That's a no brainer. For as many hits as this guy's got, greatness deserves recognition.

Thursday, 02.16.17 @ 23:45pm
Leave your own comment about Fatboy Slim here.

About Ohio Players, Roy wrote:
  RIP Robert Ward
Thursday, 02.16.17 @ 23:33pm
Leave your own comment about Ohio Players here.

About Ohio Players, Roy wrote:
  RIP Walter "Junie" Morrison
Thursday, 02.16.17 @ 23:31pm
Leave your own comment about Ohio Players here.